Stew is the perfect comforting winter meal and it can easily be made healthy by packing in the veggies!
Ingredients: Yields about 8 (1 & 1/2c.) servings
- 1 ribeye steak (I like to use a flavorful cut of meat and just cut off all the fat I can see)
- 1 can of corn
- 1 (8oz.) package of mushrooms; sliced
- 1 small yellow onion; diced
- 1 & 1/2 c. green beans; cut in half
- 4 celery stalks; chopped
- 3 large carrots; chopped
- 4 baby red potatoes
- 1 packet of Knorr stew seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- Microwave the red potatoes for about 3 minutes, or until they are soft enough to cut into
- While the potatoes are cooking, bring 6 cups of water to a boil and stir in the packet of seasoning
- Dice the potato into small cubes
- Add the potato, celery, carrots, green beans & corn into the broth. Turn the heat down to medium
- While the veggies are cooking with the broth, coat a large pan with olive oil and saute the yellow onion & mushrooms until lightly browned
- Add with the onion & mushrooms in with rest of the vegetables and broth. Turn the head down to medium-low
- Remove the fat off the steak and cut it into small cubes
- Saute the steak on medium-high until both sides are browned and it is still pink and tender on the inside
- Make sure the carrots, celery, and green beans are no longer crunchy. Then, add the steak in with the rest of the ingredients
- Add more water if necessary (for a more “brothy” soup)
Serve & enjoy this comforting meal packed with veggies & protein!
I have made two kinds of stew within 3 weeks because I couldn’t stop craving it during a period of rainy weather here on the central coast of California! Experiment with different variations of stew using different vegetables each time.