This recipe requires a powerful blender or a food processor. I love soups and after much research over many months to find a blender that can puree soups, I decided to invest in a Vitamix. So far, it is doing exactly what I need it to and much more! Another option I have heard works well is a Cuisinart immersion blender which you can purchase for around $30.
Ingredients: Yields about 6, 1 cup servings
- 1 Head of broccoli
- 1 (15oz.) can of cannellini beans (white kidney beans); drained
- 3 c. vegetable broth
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- Topping: Toasted pine nuts
- Optional topping: Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- Cut the broccoli into florets and slice the stem into pieces
- Steam broccoli in a large bowl filled with 1 c. of water & microwave for about 3 & 1/2 min.
- Dice the yellow onion & mince the clove of garlic
- Lightly coat a medium pan with olive oil. Saute the onion & garlic until lightly browned
- Add the broccoli, drained cannellini beans, onion, garlic & vegetable broth into a blender (or if you have a food processor, add everything except for the vegetable broth to puree)
- Blend until pureed & smooth. Add more or less vegetable broth to make it more liquid or thick
- Toast pine nuts in small pan (without oil) until lightlybrowned on each side
- Heat 1 serving of the broccoli soup mixture on stovetop
- Serve & top with toasted pine nuts and shredded cheese
I have been trying to focus on fun ways to get more veggies into the diet because that is the element of nutrition that Americans are lacking the most. Soups are a delicious way to eat your vegetables and there are endless combinations to experiment with.