I had never heard of an acai bowl until I moved to California from Colorado. Ever since discovering them, I have become a connoisseur of Acai Bowls and go in search of them throughout California. If you’ve never heard of an acai bowl before, it’s time to start exploring!
What is an Acai Bowl?
The base of it is similar to a smoothie, made with with the power fruit, acai berries. It is topped with granola & fruit (type of fruit & granola varies on the cafe). Then additional toppings are added depending on the place you go to such as honey, bee pollen, coconut, flax seeds, chia seeds, goji berries, nuts, etc. With these “superfoods,” acai bowls are a wholesome and nutritious breakfast, or even lunch.
(All Photo Credits: Carly Haneke)
I have found that most acai bowls are located in Southern California. Check out this interactive map to find the acai bowls pictured above (the best I’ve tasted).
Each acai bowl cafe is unique:
- Best granola
- Great atmosphere: Nice place to get together with friends
- Acai smoothie is icy/slushy
- Fruit varies depending on what’s in season
- 100% Organic
- Easy on-the-go
- Solely acai bowls: Many different options of acai bowls to choose from on their menu
- Hemp granola
- 100% Organic
- Sit-down restaurant with many different options besides acai bowls on their menu
- Acai smoothie is creamy & smooth
- Great atmosphere: Nice place to get your studying done & meet with friends
- Good, hearty granola