This side dish has a rich, nutty texture with a mediterranean flare. It is a good protein snack to take with you on-the-go or side dish to accompany any meal, & it’s best served cold.
Ingredients: 4 servings
- 1 c. Israeli couscous aka pearl couscous (I prefer the box from Trader Joe’s): I tried using whole wheat israeli couscous one time, and unfortunately, it did not taste nearly the same
- 1/4 c. pine nuts
- 1/3 c. sun dried tomatoes (Trader Joe’s has a bag of dry sun dried tomatoes)
- 1/3 c. black olives
- 1/8 c. capers
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Boil 2 cups water in a pot
- While the water is boiling, heat olive oil in a pan on medium heat. Add Israeli couscous and stir until the beads are toasted to golden brown (about 1 min)
- Transfer the toasted couscous into the pot of boiling water with a dash of salt
- Reduce heat to low and cover the pot. Cook for 8 minutes (stir every few minutes)
- While the couscous is cooking. In the same pan you toasted the couscous, toast the pine nuts until golden brown .
- Once the couscous is done cooking, transfer it to a mixing bowl.
- Mix the couscous, pine nuts, sun dried tomatoes, black olives, & capers.
- Chill overnight (or for about 6 hours)
Enjoy, knowing that you have a tasty snack or side dish already prepared for tomorrow!