If you’re sick of your typical salads or just need a side dish or snack, this Italian-style quinoa is full of flavor and nutrients to fill you up! It was super simple for me to make and take on-the-go!
Ingredients: Makes 4 servings
- 1/2 c. dry quinoa (tri-color or regular)
- 2 oz. fresh mozzarella: about 1/4 of the log (I like this one from Trader Joe’s: It has a bit of a kick to it, but you can use any kind of fresh mozz)
- 1/3 c. cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 of a cucumber
- 5 fresh basil leaves (I keep the basil plant in my kitchen: about $3 at TJ, or you can get fresh basil in smaller packs)
- Boil quinoa (per instructions), refrigerate overnight (to be served chilled) in a medium-sized mixing bowl
- Cut up cucumber, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella into small pieces & basil leaves into very small pieces
- Transfer the cucumber, tomatoes, mozz. & basil into the bowl of chilled quinoa
- Mix and serve!
Enjoy knowing that quinoa is full of fiber, protein, iron, & magnesium. And…It is gluten-free!